September 1, 2021
As we prepare for this coming school year, I think it is important to communicate what the protocols regarding COVID-19 will look like for you and your children. But before I do that, let me thank you for partnering with us last year in implementing and maintaining the required safety protocols for 2020-2021. I am proud of how well SCS faired throughout the year and believe that we did well due to a combination of God’s providence, staff consistency, and your partnership with us in ensuring your children were ready for school each day by conducting daily health checks, ensuring masks were sent along, practicing good hand hygiene, minimizing your own social interactions at key times and generally participating in your own way in serving the common good of combating COVID-19. So, based on that past success, let’s continue to work together to care for our students!
For this year here is what you need to know for the start of school:
- All staff are required to wear masks when indoors. All students in grades 4-12 are required to wear masks when indoors. Grade K-3 students are also encouraged to wear masks indoors.
- All students riding buses will be required to wear masks at all times.
- Parents will continue to conduct daily health checks with their children prior to sending them to school. Unwell students will be kept home.
- Students who become unwell during the school day will be sent home.
- As per last year K-7 students will gather outside with their teachers and be escorted into the school.
- Parents are allowed in the building but should do so by making an appointment (with their teacher directly or whoever on staff they wish to see).
- They will be required to wear a mask when in the building.
- We will continue to structure student movement to avoid high levels of congestion. For example, at the Secondary Campus, specific entrance and exits will be assigned to specific grade levels.
- Extra-curricular activities are a go! SCS will be following the required Ministry of Education (Min. of Ed.) and Provincial Health Authority (PHA) protocols for all of these activities.
- SCS will follow all protocols as communicated by the Min. of Ed and the PHA in regards to cleaning and disinfecting, subject specific teaching areas (Music, Foods, PE, Drama, etc.), student gatherings, school trips, etc.
- Grades K-7 teachers will continue to teach and facilitate positive hygiene practices (hand washing, coughing/sneezing skills, mask use, etc.).
- SCS will continue to use enhanced cleaning protocols that were put in place last year including increased wipe downs of commonly touched surfaces and the use of hand sanitizer stations in every building.
- There will be no cohorts this year. Students will be able to interact with friends outside of their class/grade in a safe manner.
- Protocols for chapel will begin same as last year and we will move to in-person chapels as recommended by Min. of Ed. and PHA.
As we walk this journey together let’s recognize that everyone is at different points of concern along the COVID-19 spectrum, so let’s be kind and trusting and continue to use the PHA and Min. of Ed. protocols as our common ground in implementation. This kindness and consistency of implementation has worked well for us in the past. Again, thank you for your ongoing partnership. Together let’s do all that we can to keep our students safe and able to learn more about who they are in God’s Kingdom!
-Dave Loewen, Superintendent